Monday, October 31, 2005

My War Reviews

Killing Time Reading "My War"
I recently finished reading Colby Buzzell's My War - Killing Time in Iraq. It's being billed as something between "Catch 22" and "Dispatches".

Well, while Buzzell writes cynically about some of the missions, the soldiers, and the Iraqis, it's easy to see that he really cares about them, too. This dichotomy is the very definition of Colby Buzzell. He has immense disregard for the media, the President, the anti-war movement, the tacticians developing the methods to fight the war...just about everyone...while trying Soldier on in one of the roughest environments in Iraq (Mosul).

CB starts the book with his life at the point of his enlistment - moving from meaningless (to him) job to meaningless job. He spends a lot of time contemplating his motivation for becoming a Soldier.

He discusses his desire to get into the fight. He discusses how he started blogging and what he thinks of military bloggers.

The combat rememberances are very interesting - possibly because Buzzell only romanticizes battle when it's finished by a TOW missle exploding at a target. His own role and the roles of the soldiers are secondary to the sounds, smells, and feelings happening at that instant.

And, of course, he's got an infantryman's sense of humor. When forced to write a mandatory death letter to be given to his parents if he were killed, Buzzell writes:

Dear Mom and Dad,

You're right.

I should have gone to college instead.

Love,

Colby

So how is the book?

My War is a great read. Buzzell moves between new material and his posts from CBFTW. While I don't know about Buzzell being the next Heller or Herr, he certainly is interesting. Both unflinchingly critical of the military, himself, and the Iraqis and strongly supporting the fight, Colby Buzzell brings the human side to the War on Terror.

It's well worth the price.

Posted by Blackfive | October 14, 2005 | Permalink

TrackBack
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/3377581

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Killing Time Reading "My War":

Comments
I've just finished reading that book as well, and I must say it is an excellent read. Buzzell is an incredible writer. The book is very blunt and open, yet very deep and intricate at the same time. You can clearly see, as you said, his internal conflict about being in the Army. The book gives so much insight, be it narrow because it's just his point of view, into the war that we don't see or hear about often. The kids throwing rocks, the contractor with his ticket home in that SUV, all the quirky Army regs like one strap backpacks, and Tomahawk Six's radio transmission are all incredible stories. His humorous slant on all the good and the bad and his no-bars opinions makes it a very memorable read. This book, milblogs, and all the stories that you, Blackfive, bring to us all give us some insight on something that some of us might not experience or hear about. Thanks for the review.

Posted by: dlo | Oct 14, 2005 4:01:37 PM

I'm partial to books about Marines myself, but with your recommendation I think I'll read this one.

Have you read Ambush Alley by Tim Pritchard? It is by far the best book about combat I have ever read..................I'm guessing it will be a movie in a year or two

I'm currently reading No True Glory....A firsthand account of the Battle for Fallujah by Bing West...............I'm in chapter 2 and so far so good

Posted by: Geoff Milke | Oct 14, 2005 4:59:26 PM

Generation Kill was also excellent. And Nathaniel Fick (frequently quoted and mentioned in GK) has his book out now as well - One Bullet Away.

Posted by: Jen | Oct 14, 2005 5:02:54 PM

I've been meaning to get the book. My only problem right now is finding the time - with moving and unpacking - I'm so far behind with everything - but maybe this weekend! I've been waiting to see how he made the jump from blogger to "dead tree" author - they are two different things. Your review makes me look forward all the more to having time to sit down and read it. Thanks.

Posted by: Teresa | Oct 14, 2005 5:04:35 PM

One Bullet Away is a great read, too.

Posted by: Blackfive | Oct 14, 2005 5:09:01 PM

I just finished reading Colby's book and I must say that it's a fantastic first book. I agree with Matt that it's not exactly Herr or Heller, but neither does it feel cobbled together. It's a scrapbook of a very intense year.

The real triumph of the book is the emotional complexity of it. It's not a black and white war, and likewise, Colby's feelings express the moral confusion of being in a combat zone.

I'm sure, much like "Gunner Palace", that some folks are going to hate this book, especially if they have never worn a uniform. Reading it, I must of laughed aloud at least a dozen times--especially when he captured just how absurd modern combat is.

I also just finished "the Last True Story I'll Ever Tell". While I hate to compare, "My War" is a stronger read. It brings us into a world.

MIke Tucker

Posted by: Gunner Palace | Oct 14, 2005 7:02:11 PM

Somehow I relate to anyone who thinks their life could be more meaningful. Personally, I'm envious of any man (since I'm male I mean man) who portrays a sense of satisfaction with their life. I'll have to read this book. Being introspective and not exactly liking the beast that peers back is one thing, being able to translate that into ANY readable format takes talent and guts.

'Course, I could be reading too much into Blackfive's description of the book's contents.

Again Blackfive, thanks for the info.

Posted by: Blaine | Oct 14, 2005 10:38:00 PM

Thanks, Mike. You've got a lot of cred with me, personally and professionaly, and I agree - he could've gone a lot of different ways with the book and I think he stayed true to his experience (as anyone who spent time in the Army in combat will atest).

Long live WILF!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Prev | List | Random | Next
Join
Powered by RingSurf!